If you have followed the comments, you may know that I have considered doing the GAPS diet to heal my digestive track. GAPS is based on The Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. The basic premise for her diet is that many diseases and syndromes find their root in digestive problems. Therefore, if the “gut” is healed, often the disease symptoms are relieved as well.
I will be sharing with you why I feel that the GAPS diet might be a good step for me and my children, but today I want to give you a little test to see if you might need it too:
1. Are you frequently constipated?
2. Do you have food allergies?
3. Do you have an autoimmune disease?
4. Have you been on many antibiotics in your life?
5. Were you bottle fed as a baby?
6. Do you have IBS, Crohns, or Celiac disease?
7. Did you take oral contraceptives?
8. Do you have learning difficulties such as autism, ADHD, or dyslexia?
9. Do you have epilepsy or schizophrenia?
10. Do you experience seasonal allergies or eczema?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions, you might be experiencing gut dysbiosis (compromised gut flora). The GAPS diet may be just the thing for you!
In case you are already convinced, here are a couple of links with GAPS info to get you started:
(This post is part of Real Food Wednesdays at http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2011/03/real-food-wednesday-31611.html)